University of Michigan Dorm Chicken Broccoli Bake
the best dorm food in the land
Adapted from The University of Michigan to simplify it and make it slightly saucier. Go Blue.
- 1lb broccoli, chopped fresh or frozen
- 1lb Chicken Breasts, diced
- 3T butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3T flour
- 1c chicken broth
- 3/4c Sour Cream
- 1c heavy cream
- 1/2t salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/4c Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/4c Bread Crumbs
- Steam broccoli for a few minutes in the microwave or on the stove, undercooked a little.
- In a saucepan or skillet sauté the diced chicken until done. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onions until translucent. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth slowly, scraping up browned bits and evenly hydrating the roux while you whisk.
- Once the broth is added, add sour cream and heavy cream.
- Gently simmer mixture for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Gently fold in the cooked chicken meat and the cooked broccoli.
- Place mixture in a casserole dish. Top with combined bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Spray the top with some cooking spray to help the bread crumbs brown.
- Bake for 20min in a 325-degree oven until the top is lightly browned and mixture is bubbly. Do not overbake, or mixture will separate.
- Serve over rice.